Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi
Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi is the deemed University founded in 1989. The University has received the “A” grade deemed University status from the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). It has been recognised by University Grants Commission (UGC). After granting permission from Medical Council of India, the University has started the Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences of Research (HIMSR) on its campus that offers MBBS programme.
The mission of JH-IMM is to develop a multidisciplinary approach via successful collaborations to bridge the gap between basic and clinical or translational sciences in India. This multidisciplinary interphase research is an unexplored area in our country, with vast unmet demands relevant to the health needs of the population. Scientists at JH-IMM are involved in scientific programmes, which integrate laboratory and clinical research with an aim to develop new and innovative therapeutic modalities. It has an active interest in disease intervention strategies and assay development for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. Interest will not be limited to vaccines or macro/micro-molecular clinical intervention but will also include traditional Indian medicines (Unani/Ayurvedic) along with marketed or phase III compounds to “repurpose or reposition” for various biological targets using proprietary assays and software. Thus, we will add and be synergistic to and not duplicate or subtract from, other Indian institutes
LABORATORY TRAINING SERVICES
- Molecular Biology – Cloning; extraction and QC of RNA/DNA from body fluids (clinical samples included), mammalian/microorganisms tissues; Real-Time PCR; etc.
- Diagnostics – Diagnosis and typing of microorganisms in various body fluids using multiple molecular biological tools, eg. Fluorescence qPCR, and Sequencing.
- Cell culture techniques, genetic manipulation of bacterial and viral genomes, techniques for mammalian cell differentiation; infection of macrophages by parasites.
- Microscopy/Flow Cytometry: Immunocytochemistry and immunohistochemistry; Detection of microbe (fluorescence)-infected host cells by fluorescence/confocal microscopy. Sorting of infected host cells by Flow Cytometry.
- Protein over-expression; Purification techniques; Protein detection and CHIP techniques; multiple Elisa
- The workshop offered on: “Drug screening – Cell-based assay development concepts and practices”.
- The workshop offered on: “Parasite – host interaction studies ex vivo” using modern methodologies including, Flow Cytometry, Confocal Microscopy, and Fluorescence Real Time-PCR
- The workshop offered on: “Diagnostics of Leishmania parasites in human blood” using Fluorescence Real-Time PCR.
The high-tech campus of the University is located at Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi. The administrative and academic block of the campus is equipped with all the required facilities. The campus is dotted with greeneries and well-connected by roads.
The University offers extensive facilities to the students for academic pursuits. The library has a variety of books of all the faculties. For the department of computer science, all the latest computing facilities are available. The Scholar’s house of the University is the guest house for outside examiners, University guests, etc. The University is incorporated with HAH Centenary Hospital to provide practical learning to the students. There are 3 canteens in the University that offer snacks, tea and coffee. A large playground is available for facilitating the sports activities. Besides this, there is gymnasium facility for the physical development of the students. The campus has a large mosque namely Masjid-Rabia to facilitate worshippers.
- Tools for advanced molecular biology work, Cell biology work, in vitro culture of parasites, bacteria and mammalian cells.
- Imaging facilities – Live-cell Imaging; Inverted microscopes (Nikon); Photo documentation (Biorad); chemiluminescent imaging system (Syngene).
- Sample storage facilities – Deep freezers and liquid nitrogen storage tanks (Thermo Scientific); Cold cabinets; refrigerators.
- Other Capital Instruments – Spectrophotometers/nano drops; Electroporator; BOD incubators; Cell culture shakers of various capacities; PCR machines (Thermo Scientific, Biometra, Abi); Biosafety hoods (Thermo Scientific)
The University offers the UG and PG level courses in various disciplines. It runs undergraduate courses in modern medicine results to the MBBS degree.
Courses offered by Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi
- MD (Unani)